|barramundi (Lates calcarifer), squaretail mullet (Ellochelon vaigiensis), Malabar grouper (Epinephelus malabaricus), bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix), giant grouper (Epinephelus lanceolatus), northern rock flathead (Cymbacephalus staigeri)
BARRIER REEF FISHES
1. Giant Perch, Lates calcarifer. = barramundi (Lates calcarifer)
2. Northern Mullet, Mugil waigiensis. = squaretail mullet (Ellochelon vaigiensis)
3. Rock cod, Serranus crapao. = Malabar grouper (Epinephelus malabaricus)
4. Taylor, Temnodon saltator. = bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix)
5. Groper, Oligorus terraereginae. = giant grouper (Epinephelus lanceolatus)
6. Flathead, Platycephalus staigeri. = northern rock flathead (Cymbacephalus staigeri)
Author Kent, W. Saville (William Saville Kent), 1845 - 1908
Full title The Great Barrier Reef of Australia; its products and potentialities, 1893
BHL Page URL http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/38767968
The barramundi or Asian sea bass (Lates calcarifer) is a species of catadromous fish in family Latidae of order Perciformes. The species is widely distributed in the Indo-West Pacific region from Southeast Asia to Papua New Guinea and Northern Australia.
The squaretail mullet (Ellochelon vaigiensis) is a ray fish of Mugilidae. This fairly large fish can be found in many parts of the world but is usually found between Australia and Russia.
The Malabar grouper or greasy grouper (Epinephelus malabaricus) is a species of marine fish in the family Serranidae. The Malabar grouper is widespread throughout the tropical waters of the Indo-West Pacific area from the eastern coast of Africa to the Tonga Islands, Red Sea included.
The bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix) is the only extant species of the family Pomatomidae. It is a marine pelagic fish found around the world in temperate and subtropical waters.
The giant grouper (Epinephelus lanceolatus), also known as the brindlebass, brown spotted cod, or bumblebee grouper, and as the Queensland grouper in Australia, is the largest bony fish found in coral reefs, and the aquatic emblem of Queensland.
The northern rock flathead (Cymbacephalus staigeri) is a species of flatheads (Platycephalidae) native to the western Pacific Ocean.